Recommendations to Staff Using Elevators
When you approach the elevator, make sure you:
- Know your destination. Push elevator CALL button for the direction you want to go.
- Stand aside for exiting passengers.
- Wait for the next car, if the elevator is full.
- Don’t try to stop a closing door. Wait for the next elevator.
When you enter and leave the elevator:
- Enter and exit carefully.
- Step up or down if the elevator floor and hall floor are not level.
- Stand clear of the doors—keep clothes and carry-ons away from the opening.
- Push and hold the DOOR OPEN button if doors need to be held open, or ask someone to push the button for you.
When riding on the elevator:
- Stand next to the elevator wall.
- Hold the handrail, if available.
- Pay attention to the floor indications.
- If the doors do not open when the elevator stops, push the DOOR OPEN button.
- Watch your step.
- Leave closing doors alone.
- If doors don’t open, ring alarm button and wait.
- If there is a fire in the building, use the stairs.