Characteristics of Needle Device Safety Features
Desirable characteristics of safety devices include:
- The device is needleless.
- The safety feature is an integral part of the device.
- The device is easy to use and practical.
- The device performs reliably.
- The safety feature cannot be deactivated and remains protective through disposal.
- The devices work effectively and reliably, and are acceptable to the health care worker, and do not adversely affect patient care.
NOTE: Needleless system is a device that does not use a needle for the collection or withdrawal of body fluids after initial access to a vein or artery is established, or to administer medication.
Protect Staff From Bloodborne Pathogen Contamination