Sample Safety Committee Checklist
Use on building or facility walk-through.
- Are walking surfaces clean, clear of debris, and dry?
- Are stairs, steps, handrails, and landings in good condition?
- Is area lighting adequate?
- Is general housekeeping acceptable and storage neat and orderly?
- Is furniture in a good state of repair?
Building Evacuation and Life Safety
- Are exits properly identified and lighted?
- Are exit paths clear?
- Are exit doors operable and equipped with panic hardware?
- Is emergency lighting operable?
- Does the fire alarm work?
- Has the fire alarm been tested?
- Are evacuation floor plans posted?
- Are emergency phone numbers posted in conspicuous areas throughout the
- Are "Do Not Use Elevator in Fire Emergency" signs posted and legible?
- Are portable fire extinguishers available?
- Are extinguishers serviced/tagged annually?
- Is the sprinkler system operable and tested regularly?
- When was the sprinkler system last tested? (Dam & PSI)
- Do smoke, heat & other detection alarm systems work?
Date last tested?
- Is the ?No Smoking? policy enforced?
- Are fire doors self-closing? Date last tested
- Are combustibles and trash controlled?
- Are flammables properly stored in cabinets?
- Is there any evidence of electrical equipment overheating?
- Is there a smoke/heat detector located near the furnace room?
- Are chimneys and flues inspected regularly? Date last inspected?
- Is lightning protection installed on towers, steeples, or spires?
- Are holiday decorations noncombustible and Underwriters Laboratories
- Has a licensed electrician inspected electrical wiring?
- Does wiring meet code requirements?
- Is there any evidence of electrical wiring overheating, blown fuses,
tripped circuit breakers or worn insulation?
- Are multiple plug outlets and use of extension cords kept to a minimum?
- Are portable heating devices UL-listed?
Kitchen Fire Prevention
- Is the cooking ventilation system equipped with grease filters or
- Are cooking filters clean with no grease build-up?
- Does a dry chemical fire suppression system protect ductwork, cooking
surfaces, and each deep fat fryer?
- Are dry chemical fire suppression systems serviced semi-annually by a
licensed contractor and tagged accordingly?
Date last serviced?
- Is the dry chemical fire suppression system linked to a shut-off valve
to the fuel supply?
- Are deep fat fryers equipped with thermostats and high limit temperature
control (475º F)?
- Is there a 10-pound dry chemical fire extinguisher (bicarbonate-based)
in the immediate cooking area?
Boilers and Heating Equipment
- Are boilers and water heaters serviced regularly?
- Are state inspection certificates on file and current?
- Is any water/steam/fuel leakage noted?
- Is there a preventive maintenance service contract in effect on
heating/air conditioning equipment?
- Are inspection certificates posted?
- Is there a preventive maintenance/service contract in effect?
- Is the parking area well maintained?
- Are exterior walkways in good physical condition?
- Is exterior illumination adequate?
- Are all lights functional?
- Is signage adequate and properly secured?
- Are walkways, roads, and parking lots kept clear of ice and snow?
- Is playground equipment and surface material in good condition and
- Are swimming facilities maintained in accordance with local and state
- Are camping facilities operated in accordance with local, state and
federal safety regulations?
- Other concerns?
(Address as necessary)