Hallmark #8: Tells It Like It Is
- The Nonprofit Risk Management Center’s web site provides a Fact Sheet on Crisis Communication.
- To view a template media spokesperson policy, click here.
- The Center’s publication, Vital Signs, Anticipating, Preventing and Surviving a Crisis in a Nonprofit offers practical pointers and samples that may be helpful as your nonprofit plans to survive a crisis.
- Crafting the right press release is important whenever a nonprofit’s internal affairs might become fodder for media attention. Rather than trying to draft the release yourself, try to get help from a public relations expert—pro bono or otherwise.
- Learn how to draft an effective press release to tell your story and manage the message. The Knight Foundation has created an online tutorial that takes you step-by-step through the process of writing a press release. Click here.
- View press releases that other nonprofits have posted on their websites. The web site pr.com posts a collection of press releases issued by nonprofits: www.pr.com/news-by-category/138
- View a sample crisis communication plan drafted for and by the Colorado Association of Nonprofits that may help you get started on a plan for your organization. Click here.