Frequently Asked Questions
Fundraising and Charitable Registration
- We don’t have our tax-exempt status yet — can we engage in fundraising?
- Do we have to register for fundraising purposes in more than one state? Example: Our organization primarily solicits donations in the state where we are incorporated, but several of our long-term donors have now retired and moved out of state. We are planning a conference next year in yet another state where we will solicit corporate sponsorships.
- Must an organization be a recognized 501c3 tax exempt entity in order to receive contributions?
- If our organization is tax-exempt, why are we being charged sales tax?
- We know we need to send donors a 'thank you' for their gift. What should the language of the letter say?
- We have a "donate here" button on our nonprofit's website. Do we need to register for charitable solicitation purposes in all 50 states?