Frequently Asked Questions
- What is “employment at will?”
- Can I fire this person?
- Do we need an Employee Handbook or Personnel Manual?
- I’ve heard that “comp time” is illegal – is that true?
- What’s the difference between exempt and non-exempt employees and why does it matter?
- Can I fire an employee who has been out on a medical leave of absence for three months? Her doctor does not know when she will be able to return to work.
- We have a sexual harassment policy already – do we really need to provide training to our staff about harassment? In this day and age, isn’t it obvious what harassment is?
- When someone makes an anonymous complaint about a co-worker's harassment, do we have any obligation to follow up?
- Can we convert our employees into independent contractors?
- What are the most important employment-related risk management practices?
- How can I know what federal employment laws apply to my nonprofit?
- Can we enforce our “professional attire” dress code with an employee who has visible tattoos by asking him to cover them with his clothing?
- How are “part-time” employees defined and what benefits do we have to pay them?
- What specific policies are advised regarding personal relationships between supervisors and employees and between employees who are not in a supervisor/employee situation?